Logo

Driveshaft, !5HP 2-stoke, '89 Evinrude

Doggy18

No groove at top of driveshaft for "O" Ring, Parts breakdown shows O-ring, is this normal or did the factory miss cutting a groove? Sorry should be 15HP. How far from the end of shaft to center of groove, I can cut one if I need it, thanx.

Last edited:
The newer motors use a seal ( 321788 ) just below the crankshaft seal.---No o-ring on the driveshaft itself.----And what is the part # for the o-ring that you think fits on the driveshaft ??

Last edited:
I don't remember an o ring by the 89 model year. I looked at some newer shafts on my shelf. Just juice it up with some anti seize. I keep a couple of these around just in case because I have seen where the splines eventually start to wear pretty badly.

Last edited:
The o-ring at the top of the driveshaft was last installed at the factory for 1983 model year.----But a1974 gearcase will fit on a 2007 model and a 2007 model gearcase will fit the 1974 model so there is no telling what you have today.

After further digging your correct, no O-ring needed on the '89 Evinrude, my older motor used one so I assumed the newer motor used one also. The parts exploded view looks like a groove cut in shaft, but no o-ring called out. I was looking at the big o-ring on the water pump. Thanx for the quick response.

Perhaps the best fishing outboard ever made, love 'em, run 'em, trust 'em. This interchangeability is a huge reason. I still sell clean used ones up here in MN for $800 to $1300 with good solid STEEL tanks......still perfect after 50 years.

Back