Logo

Electrical output on 8HP Evinrude to power lights

Edchris177

Regular Contributor
Looking at the factory manual, it states electrical output at 4 amp, unregulated, 60 watts. 8HP Model E8RERE 1994.
Is this standard on the kicker, or requires extra optional parts?
Is it possible to use this output to power LED lights. I was thinking spotlights, as we often come home in the dark.
is it as simple as being able to plug lights directly into the output, or do you need the output to go to a battery?
Bad idea altogether...just use battery nav & spotlight?
thanks.

Looking at the factory manual, it states electrical output at 4 amp, unregulated, 60 watts. 8HP Model E8RERE 1994.
Is this standard on the kicker, or requires extra optional parts?
Is it possible to use this output to power LED lights. I was thinking spotlights, as we often come home in the dark.
is it as simple as being able to plug lights directly into the output, or do you need the output to go to a battery?
Bad idea altogether...just use battery nav & spotlight?
thanks.

I think you will find that only the "sail" version has a rectifier fitted as standard. I assume therefore that this has an AC output for lights , not for connection directly to a battery, terminating in a three pin connector. Your owners manual will show how to connect filament lighting to this output

Being unregulated output volts will depend on rpm and could go quite high at high rpm with only a small load.

To run LED lighting I would install a rectifier etc as fitted to sail versions or obtain the plug in battery charging kit for an AC lighting output ( # 582105 ), if it is still available, and use this to charge a battery, running the lighting from the battery. This will have the advantage that your lights will still all work when the engine is not running and you will be able to power other 12 volt electrical accessories.eg fish finder/ depth sounder VHF radio, plotter etc and your power consumption will not be limited to the 4 amps output from the engine.

Alternatively forget about the output from the engine and install a battery and a solar panel to recharge it.

I have the sail version of the 6hp. It has a rectifier fitted as standard for battery charging but that's not very useful on a small sailing boat so I have fitted a solar panel which recharges the battery.

It s important to recharge a lead-acid battery after use and not leave it in a partly discharged state.

Right, you wil need DC (battery) for the LED lights. Fortunately, they don't need much juice, so you might not even need the charger kit on the motor.

Thanks guys. It’s just a 14’ Jon boat we use for ducks & fishing some of the rivers & smaller lakes around here. Much easier than moving the big boat off the dock.
in addition to the 8 Evinrude, I have a Minn Kota trolling motor, with a big battery, & smaller lawn tractor sized battery for fish finder.
I don’t think I’ll bother with the extra parts, it’s pretty easy to just put a charger on the batteries at days end.

Back