Logo

Stater issues

eaustin494

Hi all,
I am so confused and getting desperate. I have a 1998 Johnson 225. With the stater it came with it runs great for about 45 minutes and then it dies. If you let it sit for about 30 minutes it fires right back up and runs great. It has good water pressure and has a temp gauge and it is not overheating I even checked the block with an IR thermometer. It also does not charge. We tested the output and found the charge coil only put out 3V. before testing I found there were two broken magnets so replaced the flywheel and bought a made in China (jetstart) stater and put it on and it would not start. Assuming it was a crap stater I sent it back and they sent me a new one which also would not work. I put the old one back on and it fires right up no problem. So I ordered a new CDI Electronics one that matches the rest of the charging system, that was replaced the end of 2014, and is an exact replacement for the one that "works" and again it will not start. I called CDI and they confirmed that I do have all the correct part numbers for my motor and it should run. So again I changed back to the original and it fires right up but still no charge. Does anyone have any guess what is happening other then the boat gods hate me.
Thanks,
Eric

Back