Logo

Honda BF40 Carburetor fuel hoses

PNW Thom

Hey Guys,

I have a Honda BF40 2003-2007? Not sure the exact year of the motor, a friend recently gave it to me. The motor has sat for a couple years and i having been going though it diagnosing it.

I was testing the fuel path to see if the pump worked and etc, and noticed that when i hand primed the fuel line a bunch of gas started to spew out 2 hoses down at the bottom of the carburetor. I poked around and noticed that the 2 hoses connected to there own respective 3 way splitter. I figured that one of the 2 hoses had to connect to the nipple coming of the bottom of the lowest carburetor, since the other carburetors have hoses coming off them. But try as i might i cant figure out where the last hose goes.

Do you know where the last hose goes? or where i could refer too to figure it out?

Thanks,

Thom

Hi,
Chris is probably right about the hoses and I also wouldn't argue about cleaning the carbs after such a long lay up.

But, if whomever put the motor away was draining the carbs then it might be a case of the float chamber drains being left open. If....IF that's the case, then the hose could be a drain hose. Just guessing of course.

Good luck.

Pictures would really help. Are the drain screws tight or loose? If loose its most likely just draining the fuel right out of the bottom hole.

I have rebuilt my Carb based BF40 from the ground up, let me know if you have any questions. Sitting for that many years, I would do the following:

- Replace all filters
- Replace all external fuel lines and primer bulbs
- Inspect and replace internal fuel lines (if it was stored with ethanol, your saving headaches in the long run and will have peace of mind.)
- Inspect and replace timing belt
- Remove water inlet cover, replace thermostat and inlet cover gasket
- Check the valve lash, adjust within spec (great tutorial video from Dangar Marine on youtube)
- Inspect and replace spark plugs if necessary and add dielectric grease
- REPLACE impeller AND HOUSING - it is cheap
- Replace oil + oil filter
- Replace lower unit oil
- Grease all zerts
- Go through the electrical connections and spray electrical cleaner and connectivity spray
- Pull Carbs, clean, replace gaskets and needed parts
- clean battery connections and cables

If you can provide the serial number usually one of the core guys on here can tell you the year. Then you can go to boats dot net and look up your parts schematic and order the needed parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back