Logo

Water pump replacement

Del1978

I was given a 1978 850 mercury .I replaced the waterpump and replaced the lower unit. Is it normal for engine to be in gear after replacing lower unit ? I don't know allot about boat engins and don't want to start engine if I will tear something up. Please help.

So you took the lower unit off in NEUTRAL.--------When you were not looking a bump on the unit and the spring loaded clutch put it in FORWARD.--------So remove lower unit.----Put throttle in forward.-----Assemble again.-----Or put lower unit in neutral with shift lever in neutral and assemble.

Last edited:
So you took the lower unit off in NEUTRAL.--------When you were not looking a bump on the unit and the spring loaded clutch put it in FORWARD.--------So remove lower unit.----Put throttle in forward.-----Assemble again.-----Or put lower unit in neutral with shift lever in neutral and assemble.

When I dropped lower unit it was in neutral when I assembled it it was supposed to still be in neutral . but was not .

Clear facts for you.-----I know what happened.-----This happens to most novices.------The clutch dog in the lower unit is spring loaded and jumped into forward when you were not looking !!----Follow the steps in post # 2 --------Or rush to your local boat shop, explain and they can correct this in 15 minutes.

Back