Logo

1987 Bayliner 28 350 260 hp will not plane

ollison

Everything is new gas tank to carburetor. All filters houses pumps. As I begin to give her throttle coughs dies but will restart. New plugs, wires, coil timing perfect. I got this is a project boat and only one time did it have enough power after 4 minutes to get on top of the water at 18mph. Someone to set another form check your high riser gaskets. Anybody hear of this?? This boats starts great idles great. I am hesitant to believe it’s a carburetor that needs to be rebuilt. It’s a clean boat with 900 hours. Reaches only 3400 rpms when she seeming looses it.

Last edited:
Everything is new gas tank to carburetor. All filters houses pumps. As I begin to give her throttle coughs dies but will restart. New plugs, wires, coil timing perfect.
Did you mean "ignition timing"?
If so, how was this done? What is the ignition TA and at what RPM, etc?

I got this is a project boat and only one time did it have enough power after 4 minutes to get on top of the water at 18mph. Someone to set another form check your high riser gaskets. Anybody hear of this??
Not sure how that would relate!

This boats starts great idles great. I am hesitant to believe it’s a carburetor that needs to be rebuilt.
Earlier you said: "Everything is new gas tank to carburetor."
Is this not a new carburetor?

It’s a clean boat with 900 hours. Reaches only 3400 rpm when she seemingly looses it.
What is the ignition advance doing at 3,400 RPM?

My guess is that after all is said and done, you will find that the boat is (was) overpropped in a futile attempt of a previous owner to get more speed out of the boat by installing a bigger pitch prop.

Back