Logo

Engine slow to start NSF18B2

Inshore22

Is there a way to directly test whether the battery cable is delivering the right volts & amps to the starter solenoid with a multimeter? Engine is not starting on the first push of the button like it used to. More like the 3rd or 4th now and sometimes I have to sit and wait for a while and then try again.

Maybe this is in the factory service manual? Maybe it is time for me to pick one of those up.

What is the symptom? If cranking slowly, either insufficient power delivered, defective starter, or too much friction.

Ignition is magneto, so battery power, or lack of it is irrelevant to that. You can pull start even without a battery. Does it pull OK?

Voltage at the starter motor can tell a lot. If battery is well charged and cabling is good, then if the 12v is more like 10v at the starter, either the starter motor is bad, or the load on the starter is too high. To read amps, you need an inline ammeter.

Thanks for that info. I can't tell you exactly what the symptom was. Just wasn't starting after holding button for 3-5 seconds. I may have fixed it unintentionally before I could diagnose. Took apart the starter and put it back together and cleaned all the terminals associated and it started right up. Had a hard time getting to the positive terminal on the starter but did a voltage drop test to the solenoid output and got 0.3v drop. So I guess solved for now.

Back