Logo

Default 1984 OMC stinger sterndrive water pump impeller didn't last long

I installed a new impeller kit last year and it has already broken off all of its blades. Everything went together just fine and looked correct. I took it apart and all the blades were still soft rubber so I can't figure out why it went out so soon. The original impeller lasted for 30 years. I'm buying a new one to install but just wanted to know if anyone would know why it went out so soon so the next impeller doesn't do the same. Thanks

Default Re: 1984 OMC stinger sterndrive water pump impeller didn't last long

Was this a factory repair kit / impeller ?-------Or something else that was cheaper ?

Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post
    Was this a factory repair kit / impeller ?-------Or something else that was cheaper ?
    It was a sierra water pump kit

Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post

Is the Sierra part cheaply made?

I did work in a tire factory for a 1 1/2 years.-------They are all black but they are not all the same.----Or as some have said----" The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten "

Quote Originally Posted by bdirks View Post
    Is the Sierra part cheaply made?
    no, not generally but they could of gotten a bad batch... sierra supplies parts industry wide and are considered to be as good as oem.
    make sure the metal liner in the waterpump housing isnt damaged/deformed and catching on the blades of the impeller.