Logo

Yamaha 8hp air/fuel mix screw

Bracey91

Hey everyone,

New to the whole boating/fishing scene . Have had a tinny with an 2 stroke 8hp Yamaha (not sure of year but older model) started running rough on idle recently and then eventually stalling so pulled the carby apart and cleaned it but stupidly forgot to take a photo of the mix screw but kind of figured it was probably wrong anyway so just screwed it in and screwed it out one and a half turns. Started the engine up with the muffs on and it's running great , idling properly and just generally sounds a lot better now I've cleaned the carby , I had a fiddle with the screw and if I turn it in any more it sounds rougher and Same with if I turn it out but about 2 turns out didn't sound too bad either I haven't had a chance yet to chuck it back in the water so it might all change once it's under load but right now it sounds good . I have experience with bike and car engines but this is my first boat so just wondering if that 1 and a half to 2 turns sounds about right and just making sure I'm not gonna do any damage by not having it at a "factory setting" as I can't find anything online about where it should be . Am I right in thinking if it sounds alright it's probably right ?

Cheers !

Back