Logo

150 Faststrike puzzle...CONTINUED

Afternoon all, I have been all over this motor the last several months chasing fuel leaks, etc. I finally got that all resolved and a new problem arose. I felt it once or twice in the late summer fishing a tournament at take off, just before planing out it felt like a misfire, only a couple times real quick. It never happened again so i blew it off as maybe prop slip. The next few times it never produced again. I fished a tournament back in October and right from take off, through plane out and on pad it did this again constantly, enough so that I stayed close to the ramp. When it came time to check in i ran back and it ran fine. I have been a technician for Dodge for 30 yrs and it feels like secondary ignition to, power pack going south? I am certain it is original on this 97 model. Boat idles great and never cuts out unless loaded. Compression in all holes is 120 psi give or take a couple. Carbs freshly rebuilt with new bowls. The only thing I haven't done is check spark gap jump. any ideas? I think i may replaced the power pack strictly for the fact its 20+ years old.

Some will argue.----I would look at the drain plug on the gearcase.-------A possible lower unit / gear issue.-----Perhaps check shift rod adjustment / setting.

I changed the lower unit oil a couple of weeks ago just to be certain there was no water that might freeze as it got really cold here for a few days. There was no metal on plug and fluid looked ok. I forgot to mention that when this happens i can watch the tach and see rpm decrease and increase. I will however check shift rod adjustment. It was real sluggish when it was hot during the summer after a run or 2. I just thought it was the old problem of under cowl temps too high and boiling the gas from the bowls because when it was cooler it didnt have the bogging problem. but now i think it was the heat causing the igntion power pack/coil to break down. I could be way off base too though.

Could be just a bad sparkplug / wire.----Some orderly trouble shooting can be done.----Or just use the wallet / guess approach and start replacing expensive parts.

New plugs, ohmed wires. no arcing to anything. checked all the terminals at power pack to coils. I know all about the "shotgun" approach. thanks

Back