Logo

Sterndrive engine removal time?

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
How long does it take to remove an aq series engine? Four lag bolts and I think their are 5 or 6 more on the bell housing. Slide the motor forward slightly then remove. Couple hours tops?

How long does it take to remove an aq series engine? Four lag bolts and I think their are 5 or 6 more on the bell housing. Slide the motor forward slightly then remove. Couple hours tops?

If V-8, yes, there will be 4 lag bolts that will be removed from the stringers. Leave the engine mounts attached to the engine!

There will be either 6 or 7 bolts that secure the flywheel cover (what you are calling a bell housing) to the engine.
Do not forget to remove the dust cover at the lower FWD area of the flywheel cover.

If the front PDS splines are not rusty, the engine will slide forward just enough to allow the PDS to disengage from the drive coupler.

If going back in with the same engine, and if the side engine mounts are not touched, you may get by without going through the triangulation alignment process.

The time required will depend on your level of mechanical experience.

Take pictures to eliminate any questions that you may have when going back together.

Last edited:
I meant as a shop that's removed it once already recently. I'm probably going to have them remove it again so I can take the boat to a fiberglass shop and have new motor mount pads made.

Are you asking for an approximate time required to remove the engine for stringer repair?
If so, a shop who is familiar with this engine/drive, and while using the proper techniques, and baring no corrosion issues........ they should be able to have the engine out in 3 hours or so.

The stern drive DOES NOT need to be removed!
The flywheel cover does not need to be removed from the transom shield, unless it is in their way.
If it is removed, the transmission ONLY will be removed!
If the F/C is removed, note that the inner most rubber cushion ring must be replaced when going back together.

Yes. Their epoxy fix for the lag bolts didn't work and the engine is going to need to come out so I can have new pads made. Still trying to figure out who should pay for the engine removal since they recommended the epoxy patch job, which at the time i didn't know it was a patch job.

Has anyone suggested thru-bolting an angle metal engine mount support?
It would be a decent temporary repair.

Stringer  engine mount support 2.jpg

You would slide these into position, adjust the height and fasten the engine mounts to the angle metal, then drill into the stringers and install the horizontal bolts.

Back