Logo

FDV

2014 , 40 hp. That had no codes but 6 audible beeps, mat,map or tips. Map ohms off the scale readings, replaced map sensors. Didn't have 6 beeps on lake test for about 15 mins.
Customer picks up boat and runs half day and gets bogging down issue again and 6 beeps. This is a tracker boat . sealed quicksilver tank with FDV , I've read there are problems with this system . I've only seen a hand full of these systems, tank was sucked in , opened vent on filler cap and you hear air being sucked in. With said is it possible that FDV is not working and starving motor of fuel and ecm understands tps position but no increase in rpms, therefore. Geives audible beeps and no codes?
Getting ready to dump 6k in cdi's gold package

Guess I'm talking to ghost on this site. Guess I made some one mad here , and they think it's funny. Im asking a real question if you don't know that's fine .but seems to me I've been axed here for what reason I don't know .
Dockside I asked simple question problems with FDV , and you ask what motor ( DOES IT MATTER) and if so , why no reply. FDV is before fuel getting to motor ?
It will be CRICKETS. CHRIP CHIRP!

Wish I could help you, but I'm an Olde Merc guy. Hell, my phone still has a cord coming out if the wall

Jeff

Temporally bypass the demand valve or on a separate tank and retest....dont see how a no fuel issue gives a TPS fault as it is just a position sensor

Guess I'm talking to ghost on this site. Guess I made some one mad here , and they think it's funny. Im asking a real question if you don't know that's fine .but seems to me I've been axed here for what reason I don't know .
Dockside I asked simple question problems with FDV , and you ask what motor ( DOES IT MATTER) and if so , why no reply. FDV is before fuel getting to motor ?
It will be CRICKETS. CHRIP CHIRP!

Listen here...I don't live on my laptop, I come on this site from time to time.... So if I missed your response post, so what.

Maybe you should stay away from engines you don't understand...

Last edited:
Mikey N.C. -----is doing work for customers and using a public website to try and do some repairs / get info ??

Thanks everyone , yes racerone that's correct , trying to get experts thoughts. Dockside we work on any thing that has a hull, o/b, I/o, I/b and jet skis so we see alot. All dealers around don't touch anything unless it's warranty and if they do they are 6 months out. Yes I use to work for dealers in 80's an early 90's ,then worked in Louisiana on a fleet of same boats and motors.
Came back home 2005 and started raising honeybees and still do. Was offered a job at a shop. That almost all customers are service members at Fort Bragg and they have a wide range of boats and don't want to wait for the dealers 6-8 months. So we're trying to provide a service at 2/3 the labor rate of dealers and try an get the guy's and family back on the water. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers and sorry if I did. Our head tech. last school was. 2001 so his behind times as u know how thing have progressed as far as electronics. That's why we're going to spend 5 -6 k in CDI. total package.

Faztbullet, I eliminated FDV and opened manual vent in cap. Lake test , got about 1/2 MILE and bogged a little then 6 audible beeps, came back to idle , throttle wot again 1/4 MILE same thing. Pulled intake and manifold air temp. sensor. Did Ω test in pot of water it decreased Ω as temp. increased but didn't fall as temp. decreased. So going to try that. Was thinking that tps. at wot ,if I had fuel restriction that rpms would fall but tps would still have 5 volts and would trick ecm into thinking it's a 6 beep code. Thanks for reply.

I've read that since 2011 all portable tanks have to have a FDV if that's true. I've only seen 2.
On the older ranger boats yes.never seen bentz's use one a fdv

1c229672 serial # .
Sticker on. Lower (13×26) 2.00:1 , 3 1/4 hub, 13 splines. Has a 10.6×12.
4 blade. My six beeps, was caused by spin out (cavitation) I think. Their is paint removed on inside cups of blade , and abrasion by sand. (Aluminum prop)
Question can a over propped motor . create cavitation. ? To the point in choppy water.

Thanks Dockside, that's what mer. manual says also. This is a 1650 Lowe roughneck. Jon boat, rated for 60 hp. But has 40 hp. I talked to largest dealer in Cali. and largest Lowe dealer in the US in Missouri . they both said that a 10.6 x 12 would be rite at rev. limit and they use 14-15 pitch. Motor runs great at idle, half , 3/4 throttle it's at wot , after about 3/4 of a mile, it starts cutting cyl. Out and giving 6 beeps. If I back down to 3/4 throttle it runs fine. Wot again 1/2 -3/4 a mile it happens again. Manual says in guardian mode it will drop to 3000 rpm. That's not happening. Going to put on a 15 pitch tomorrow and hook shop tach and lake test .
Manual says at 6225 rev. limit will cut #2-#3. Tack on boat shows at 5200 it stops
So will test tomorrow.

Also in manual it says with six beeps map,mat,t ps and fault check sum (ecm).
No one can tell me what fault check sum(ecm) is , does anyone know ?

It's Flash Checksum. It is the actual type of ECM.

The flow chart condition list is naming possible causes including the "Flash Checksum (Ecm)"

The Ecm on this engine checks for corruption. It may need a reflash if there are no other issues found.

Its not the prop.

Got cdi meds package and a new laptop yesterday . Everything downloaded . hooked to 2014 40hp merc. Boat has set for a week on trailer, was only getting six beeps at wot, once trailered, turn key to on pos. No beeps. So went to hook up to meds today turn key on and 6 beeps? Meds. said map sensor high volts their dtc - 36, merc. Code 16 same in manual. Merc. Manual says check for 5 volts at b21(purp/yellow) I'm good. Check b2 (brown/ or) for ground. I'm good
Check b3 (yellow) for open, not ouch,ol, 4.98 volts . backed out of meds and turned key off to eat lunch. Come back to run motor to check tps and map, turn key on and no beeps ????
Scratching head. Ran engine , no more active faults . map kp is good, tps. is good.
Dockside I think you hit nail on head it's ecm that is the problem . not prop.
I did get a 14 p. prop just to try.

Back