Logo

Help please - replacing rubber lower mount on 115 etec

Trevor J

Has anyone had any experience at replacing a rubber lower mount on a 2007 115 hp etec. One of mine has corroded badly. Any nasty things to look out for if I attempt to do the job myself? Is it a job I can do myself?

Your advice/comments would be appreciated

Easy to replace. What's your hang up ??

I've been reading horror reports of snapped bolts and folk having to pry the old part out by drilling and levering and quite frankly I'm a little worried about doing it.

The motor is used in salt water and that means that bolts and other parts have saltwater encrustation or corrosion which makes things that more difficult.
If there is an easy way to do it then I'm up for hearing about it.

I'm thinking of soaking the bolts with liberal amounts of WD40 before doing anything and then trying a rattle gun on the mounting bolts in the hope of moving them without snapping them off, Once that is done there is the problem of the corroded mount itself to get out of its location.

I understand that it would be an easy job if the motor was run exclusively in fresh water but apparently salt water makes a huge difference, or so it is suggested.

Any ideas you can come up with would be much appreciated.

use PB Blaster or Kroll or other penetrating oils mentioned in this forum instead of WD40. WD40 is good for a lot of things but it's not great penetrating oil.

use PB Blaster or Kroll or other penetrating oils mentioned in this forum instead of WD40. WD40 is good for a lot of things but it's not great penetrating oil.

Thanks for that. I’m not sure f we have those brands here in Oz but I take what you mean. There will be some form of penetrating oil for sure. I think CRC has penetrating properties.

I am not there to see the problem if there is one.-----But you asked.---------Drill the heads off the bolts.----Remove outer cover.-----Pry out the mount.-------Use heat to try and remove the studs.------.----Make drill guide from steel plate if need be to drill out stubborn bolts.-----Make / find new studs and use nuts when re-assembling.----Will make next time easier.----The motor is 12 years old, so what other maintenance has been done or are you planning to do.------There are steps to take to make bolts easier to remove around the corrosion plague !

Last edited:
I am not there to see the problem if there is one.-----But you asked.---------Drill the heads off the bolts.----Remove outer cover.-----Pry out the mount.-------Use heat to try and remove the studs.------.----Make drill guide from steel plate if need be to drill out stubborn bolts.-----Make / find new studs and use nuts when re-assembling.----Will make next time easier.----The motor is 12 years old, so what other maintenance has been done or are you planning to do.------There are steps to take to make bolts easier to remove around the corrosion plague !

Many thanks racerone for your reply. I got the cvdrplate bolts out quite easily. I’m hoping that a rattle in will take care of the mount bolts. Maybe the level of metal degradation will enable a quick removal of what is left of the mount. I bought the motor 12 months ago from a boat and motor dealer. I’ve spoken to him and he was very surprised to hear what had happened I’ve since discovered that one should flush behind the cover plates after every trip as part of normal washdown no one mentioned that to me.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I have enough to go on now.

Back