Logo

2 Questions. gett outdrive out of gear. Removing AQ130 engine while in water

nohilimit

Have 1988 V/P AQ130. JUST BOUGHT NEW Starter but can get it to turn. I think its in gear. electric trottle not working. how can i manually take out of gear?

#2.. Can i remove this motor while still in the water?.... Thats if this motor is locked up...

whats the firing order of a AQ130

thanks gregg

Have 1988 V/P AQ130. JUST BOUGHT NEW Starter but can get it to turn. I think its in gear. electric trottle not working. how can i manually take out of gear?
You may have what's called a "neutral safety switch" (within the throttle/shift unit) that will not allow the starter motor S circuit to become energized unless the throttle/shift unit is in Neutral.
If so, make sure that this switch is making continuity when the key switch is in the "start" position.

While it is best to NOT start an engine while in gear, if the stern drive is OK, being in gear should NOT prevent the starter motor from turning the engine over.

#2.. Can i remove this motor while still in the water?.... Thats if this motor is locked up...
You mean "engine", as in removing the engine while the boat is in the water???
If so, I would ask you WHY you would not pull the boat out of the water, and do this while it's on your trailer????
That will be so much easier in the long run.

whats the firing order of a AQ130
I believe that the firing order is 1-3-4-2.
#1 cylinder is the furthest cylinder forward.

NOTE: this OHC engine must have the crankshaft, counter-shaft and camshaft indexed correctly with the cogged drive belt........ (aka timing belt)
If not, the distributor driven gear will not index correctly against the counter-shaft drive gear.
This would cause issues regarding the hold-down bolt slot not allowing enough range for ignition timing adjustments.

thanks gregg

Back