Logo

175 Johnson will not stay running

This forum has been very helpful lately so I have come back for another problem.
I will start from the top,
I replaced the stator recently, along with that I replaced the rectifier since I was informed that it would be better to replace with the stator. Now before replacing the stator it would somewhat idle. I decided to check the carbs after a rebuild and I have the floats adjusted wrong. I now have them adjusted per the manual (float height is level with gasket with carb inverted) I can start the motor and it will shut off after a few seconds. I can push the key in and the rpms will raise but it would still shut off, just longer till it does. What could be the issue? The carbs have been rebuilt and cleaned throughly. Its strange the it idled before

Bowls dont seem to be warped. I replaced 3 of them already that leaked a little in the past due to warpage. And yes the orfice is correct

I tried a few things late last night and it will run on a cold start. As soon as it warms up and idles down, it starts to shut off unless I push the key in. I tried pumping the primer bulb and it doesn't help at all. The only thing that keeps it running is pushing the key in. I ordered a rebuild kit for the solenoid because it is leaking slightly when you push the key in only. But could that actually cause the motor to shut off when its warm?

Pushing the key in puts fuel directly into the motor.-------This fuel bypasses the carburetors.---Bypasses metering circuits.----To me this suggests that the carburetors need attention.

I still am having problems with this motor. I took the boat to a mechanic and they are the one to tell me to replace the stator. So I did that. Now I have a new rectifier, stator, power pack and plugs. I still can not get it running right. Last week, I had no spark. So I got another replacement power pack. Still no spark. I pulled the flywheel and a few shaving on it nothing major. But check the stator and all looked good. So I put it back together and I had spark. What in the world. Even though I have spark it still isnt running right. Its missing some and just want idle. After a few seconds it dies. I dont know what to do

Hook a timing light to it so you can see it firing, then wacth when it die it spark suddenly goes away or drops off with RPM as it dies.

what about the throttle bodies? did you clean those puppies? it has to be clean to get it to idle. synch n link done properly?

tell me more about these shavings on the flywheel. re-reading this sounds like a timing and/or ignition situation. why did the mechanic tell you to replace the stator? was it putting out low voltage or something? did you check the magnets on the flywheel? how about the 3 coils behind the OIS plastic housing? they can short to ground easily if they are old and cracked! lastly, that link n synch has to be done perfectly, and all the low speed needles adjusted well.

Last edited:
Back