Logo

Shifter rod O-ring(s)

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
All,
I have a 1998 200 Johnson which I’m re-sealing the lower Unit, I made the mistake of trying to replace the two o-rings that go in the rod/shifter cover plate... everything went fine until I tried to insert the second ring there is no way I can get that done... as I could not get the second one in and tired of trying I checked if there is actually any room in there and although the books says it takes two ring it doesn’t seem to be any room there, and I’m starting to think there was not a second one in there when I took it apart... any help will be much appreciated...

It is quite possible that you have an older style cover on your gear case.----Since I am not there to inspect that on yours , you have to look it over.-----Yes newer covers take 2 o-rings that are easy to remove and re-install.

I replaced the o-rings on my 2000 225 Evinrude this spring, mine had two grooves that were very cruded up. Old mechanic at local dealer showed me the little screw driver he bent and ground to clean out the grooves. Because I have too much time on my hands I looked at the parts diagrams and the 200 Johnsons use the same cover as the 225 Evinrude.

Racerone, I don’t see two groves on mine it is flat inside(looks like brass metal piece pressed in to the cover, I can post pictures) I can put in a o-ring pick inside between the o-ring I installed and the Edge of the brass piece and there is no room to wiggle, I hate to put it together with one o-ring but I don’t see how a second one would fit in... new cover is 31+ some change around the internet.

around what year they went two dual o-rings?

there is what appears to be a part number on the back of the plate: 322873

Sorry----It should be obvious if your cover uses 2 of the O-rings.----Don't struggle just get a new cover !

At this point I strongly believe mine only uses, but I just ordered the cover... don’t want to put everything together just to have another problem.

Back