Logo

Volvo penta transom raw water intake replacement fitting

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
Anyone know if they make these for an old Volvo penta dpa drive? It's a 1-1/4" hose fitting that connects from the drive to the engine. Not the one that the s shaped hose connects to its the one inside the boat.

The shop said the old hose for 1" and the new engine was 1-1/4" and they welded on a bigger fitting, so now the weld is cracked and leaking and I'd rather just buy the correct part and not have them weld it again.

Convert to thru hull (bottom) with shutoff and avoid future issues. Red valve on top is for garden hose for winterizing and flushing my FWC engine.

Attachments

• ThruHull_rawwaterinlet_internal_2266.jpg
    ThruHull_rawwaterinlet_internal_2266.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Do you need a sea strainer with the stainless removable strainer basket? Or will a strainer style thru hull fitting suffice?

The stern drive seawater inlet is deep enough (in the water) to avoid most any surface debris.
Whereas the thru-hull pick up is going to see surface debris that the bow directs AFT.

If you do not boat in water where surface debris would be an issue, the thru-hull pick up screen would likely suffice.
Otherwise, install a seawater strainer in the engine bay just down-stream of the seacock valve!

Sterndrive mounted pickups happily pick up plastic bags and some types of marine vegetation ( not everything floats on the surface). I've converted three Volvo drive equipped boats over theyears to thru hull and the least troublesome system is my current one which uses an external wedge shaped strainer with a removable flat stainless inlet screen.

Back