Logo

Volvo Penta 200

My68Lyman

Newly joined with focus on Lyman boats. Can anyone identify how a Volvo Penta 200 outdrive setup might be configured (number of cylinders and HP) based on these photos of a 1965 Lyman 19 foot with I/O power unit? I realize it's not much to go on, but hoping someone has some experience with these power plants.
Thanks,

Attachments

• 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 4 (3).jpeg
    4 (3).jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 25
Likely a 4 banger in the 115 to 130 HP range, however, lifting the hatch and counting works . If you can, there is a number on the drive on top which ends in a letter. That letter indicates the gear reduction which will indicate if its a 4,6 or 8 cylinder engine...assuming no one swapped parts.

Thank you. You've sourced the real problem and that is I'm not able to see the boat at the moment. I may have some information early in the week, but was curious if the 200 designation on the outdrive had any direct bearing on the size engine it might have or even the HP. As with some many designation in all of industry, it might not have any bearing at all.

200 is the series of the stern drive. Nothing to do with engine size other than back then, 4 bangers were, I believe, most popular. Would not have put a V8 in a boat that small. Ricardo has best knowledge of engines used on 200 series drives.

The 200 was common behind the little push rod 4 bangers, some 6 cylinder engines and possibly behind the small 335 series Ford V-8... (i.e., 289 cu in).

The final drive reduction will let you know which engine was in front of it.

The lower drive unit gears will be bevel cut, and will emit a rather unique sound while under load.

Last edited:
Back