Logo

1987 Evinrude 70 - All Three Carbs Leaking

rcollazo213

When my throttle is more than halfway open, fuel starts spitting out of all three carburetors after a few minutes. The motor begins to bog down, and I can only idle along. After a while, I can gain speed again, only to have the same issue occur.

I replaced all fuel lines and plugs.

I am not sure if the fuel pump or electric primer is bad, or carbs need to be rebuilt, or some adjustment needs to be done.

I am trying not to spend a lot of money guessing what the issue is.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

The fuel pump and the electric primer are not to blame.-------If this motor sat around for a long time then perhaps the float valves need attention.-----And perhaps test run with another tank and hose.

The fuel pump and the electric primer are not to blame.-------If this motor sat around for a long time then perhaps the float valves need attention.-----And perhaps test run with another tank and hose.

Allegedly, the boat was used every year before I bought it, this April. No response from previous owner.

I did a test run with another tank and hose. Same result. I just found it strange that all three are spitting.

Thanks

Last edited:
I completely agree with Mr. Scott. The tests will cost you nothing and properly direct you in which direction to go. Spark test to 7/16" nice crackling blue white. Test in the throttle position where you notice the problem, ALL plugs removed, you will have to jump the solenoid as safety devices will prevent cranking the motor at that WOT position.

OK. I managed to fix the issue. It ran like a champ this past weekend. I did a few things. Not sure which one actually fixed it or if it was a combination of them.
I replaced the reed valves. It was spitting out quite a bit of fuel, and I saw quite a bit of light through them.
I rebuilt the carbs. The floats were upside down.
I changed the thermostat. It fell apart in my hands. Looks like it was never replaced.
All is good!

Back