Logo

1959-60's 40 horse Evinrude Bellcrank on shifter

DD Rusty

Hi Gang
has anyone taken apart the shifter mechanism from the shift handle to access the bellcrank. The bellcrank rod on my engine is broken in 2. Looks like there are 2 brass flat pins in the mechanism. Do these have to be driven out to access the bellcrank rod???? Is there a specific direction??? Can't seem to find much direction in manual.

Last edited:
The two flat pins cannot be driven out. They are round in their center portion. If memory serves correct, you have to remove the exhaust housing from the outer shell to get the "bellcrank rod" (shift shaft) out of the exhaust housing. That means undo the rubber mounts, and remove the outer shift lever, among other things. The outer shift lever is held in by a "C" circlip ring. It's been a long time since I've done that job, but did a number of them back when.

EDIT: I might be mistaken though. Remove the outer shift lever first, and the intermediate linkage. Now see if the shift shaft can be removed and replaced. I don't think so, but try and see. Say a few nice words first.

EDIT EDIT: I just looked at the parts list to refresh my memory. Almost positive that the shift shaft cannot be replaced without removing the exhaust housing from the outer shell. It's broken right in the middle, right? This ain't my first rodeo, been there and done that. You can remove the outer shift lever AFTER you get the exh housing out of the shell to make it easier. But you have to put it back in after the exh hsg is back in the shell. Kinda fun.

Last edited:
The two flat pins cannot be driven out. They are round in their center portion. If memory serves correct, you have to remove the exhaust housing from the outer shell to get the "bellcrank rod" (shift shaft) out of the exhaust housing. That means undo the rubber mounts, and remove the outer shift lever, among other things. The outer shift lever is held in by a "C" circlip ring. It's been a long time since I've done that job, but did a number of them back when.

EDIT: I might be mistaken though. Remove the outer shift lever first, and the intermediate linkage. Now see if the shift shaft can be removed and replaced. I don't think so, but try and see. Say a few nice words first.

EDIT EDIT: I just looked at the parts list to refresh my memory. Almost positive that the shift shaft cannot be replaced without removing the exhaust housing from the outer shell. It's broken right in the middle, right? This ain't my first rodeo, been there and done that. You can remove the outer shift lever AFTER you get the exh housing out of the shell to make it easier. But you have to put it back in after the exh hsg is back in the shell. Kinda fun.

Thanks FDRGATOR sounds like an engine--ering night mare but you do know my problem.

Once again thanks FDRGATOR sounds like an engine--ering night mare but you understand my problem. Engine quit shifting several years ago and couldn't figure out why till I pulled the power unit and there it was.

Back