Logo

Suzuki DT200G - Grinding Lower Unit

dbranas

Good afternoon everyone.

I hope that who reads this post find very well.

I have a suzuki DT200G that I bought a couple of months ago. The engine was working perfect when I bought the boat, I only took it off the transom to repair the transom with seacast. I put everything back and, after doing a deep carburetor cleaning and replacement with the carburetor kit service, the engine in the rpm is showing 900-1000 without putting the propeller in a tub with water. I try to switch it and the grinding sound is horrible. I thought It could be that the lower unit is damaged, but extracting some oil from it, It doesn't show like the oil show any parts of worn out pieces.

I adjusted the mixer screws on carburetor as per a service manual (1 and half to 2) I found in the internet (but I don't think is the original one) (if someone can help me finding the original, I would appreciate it)

I followed the steps to the complete the link process with the wires. In reverse, the grinding sound is very short.

Any recommendations before start thinking on disassembling the lower unit?

Thank you in advance,

So the problem only occurred after you removed the motor and rebuilt the carburetors? Does it appear to be idling faster than before? Perhaps your shift cable is not properly activating.

Last edited:
So the problem only occurred after you removed the motor and rebuilt the carburetors? Does it appear to be idling faster than before? Perhaps your shift cable is not properly activating.

Thank youfor your reply!

Yeah, it occured after. The engine looks idling good....Maybe I woild need to work on the mixer screws. The rpm shows 900 to 1000. I doubt also in the shift cables...Is there any way to try of the lower unit is working properly manually??

That idle speed shouldn't effect the shifting. Try disconnecting the shift cable and while turning the prop, use your other hand to engage the transmission. My guess is that should show you that with the cable attached, it is not going completely into gear.

Back