Logo

Spark Issue - Please Help!!!

snook-fil-a

2000 Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke C90TLRY

I have been chasing a spark issue around for weeks.

Symptoms:
- removed plugs, holding one plug attached to boot and touching the engine I only get 2 seconds of spark while cranking and then spark stops but engine is still trying to turn over
- when CDI is put into emergency bypass, it sparks fine
- when crankshaft position sensor is unplugged, it sparks fine

What I've done:
- tested resistance and voltage with the following components unplugged (using a peak voltage meter): pulsor coil, stator, and crankshaft position sensor
- pulsar coil and stator passed per yamaha manual specs for "open"
- crankshaft position sensor did not pass the voltage test - spec if 5.5v min and got 4.79v
- replaced CPS with brand new one from boat.net and still same problem - new CPS shows 5.2V open - still out of spec?
- swapped CDI with used CDI that owner swears works - same problem - he gladly took it back
- tried brand new hardness and switch - same problem

Going nuts here. I feel like the fact that the motor sparks fine when the crank pos. sensor is disconnect and or when CDI is in bypass mode should point to something. I thought it was a bad CPS especially since it tested low but even the new part tests low and does the same thing.

For the love of God someone please give me some guidance!!

Change your firing order around at the power pack if the problem moves to another plug then suspect one of the trigger sensors . it may also just be the coil by changing the coils around should give you some indication where you are at.

Back