Logo

Merc 7.4 to Volvo 8.2 SWAP

unless The mpi system was 100 % complete including harness sensors, ignition etc personally I’d go with the carb. Now this is based on not having the diagnostic tools and experience of some of the professionals on this site. For me I can diagnose and fix a carb and thunderbolt ignition system. Not having to rely on a marina during a short Summer season is important to me.

unless The mpi system was 100 % complete including harness sensors, ignition etc personally I’d go with the carb. Now this is based on not having the diagnostic tools and experience of some of the professionals on this site. For me I can diagnose and fix a carb and thunderbolt ignition system. Not having to rely on a marina during a short Summer season is important to me.

I stopped counting the "T's" on all the hardware I bought. Going fully down the road of FWC Carb Setup. Everything is new off the shelf except the block, which was .030" over and turned out nice. Assembly happening this week.

The MPI setup is 100% complete.....but converting from a 1991 9-pin to the MPI was a bit daunting. Also, the Mercruiser gasket set for MPI was nearly the expense of buying carb and manifold...... So if anyone needs a 95% complete 502 MPI set-up.......

I stopped counting the "T's" on all the hardware I bought. Going fully down the road of FWC Carb Setup. Everything is new off the shelf except the block, which was .030" over and turned out nice. Assembly happening this week.

The MPI setup is 100% complete.....but converting from a 1991 9-pin to the MPI was a bit daunting. Also, the Mercruiser gasket set for MPI was nearly the expense of buying carb and manifold...... So if anyone needs a 95% complete 502 MPI set-up.......
What carb and manifold did you buy ?

Went with Edelbrock 1410 carb, Edelbrock 7562 Manifold, and Delco Voyager Ignition system. I think coupled with full closed loop cooling, I should have a clean set up.

Bummer (or not) is that I pulled the intake off the 28 year old 7.4 and she was clean as a whistle inside. So, sending her to rebuild shortly and will have a backup.... or a new project.

Back