Logo

Keeping it cool

79 Caribbean

I have a OMC STRINGER 351w ford motor, what is the correct part number for the thermostat kit and oring, and can I get a 180 deg stat. For it?

Ayuh,..... A fools errand,...... Sell it, 'n put the carb back on it,...... it's a obsolete stringer drive,.....

Wise words!

FYI..... If raw water cooled, and if running in ocean water, any temp over 140ish will begin the process of salt crystallization.

Just need to be 2% smarter than what I’m working with

Ayuh,.... That shouldn't be to tough,.....

Yer workin' with a motor that was, marine-wise, obsolete by '95,.....

'n a drive that was obsolete in '86,.....

Parts for both are either Nla, or 2 or 3 times more than other motors, 'n drives,......

Already got a nice motor for it, built a 408 marine engine, not really high HP, But great torque, been thru the drive, Ill figure a way to get it to reach a good operating temp. A updated drive will be a hurdle for another day.
when you find something you love, do what ever it takes to make it what you want!

Bt Doctour said:
So just where did you manage to install the sensor that dosen't have wet exhaust running thru it?

79 Caribbean said:
I machined a spacer for the riser

May we assume that you machined spacers/risers (for underneath the elbows), and that you installed the O2 sensors in them?
If so, I am wondering how you penetrated the seawater transfer ports in a water tight scenario.
Just curious!

Example image only.

Exhaust manifold transfer ports explained.jpg

Last edited:
I have an inboard outboard that is currently sitting in the water. Can I change the impellers or will water start flooding in when I remove the cover?

Most I/O drives, the impeller is in the drive. Can’t tell unless I know what drive your dealing with. But I wouldn’t do in on the water either way.

I have an inboard outboard that is currently sitting in the water. Can I change the impellers or will water start flooding in when I remove the cover?

I agree..... best to start a new thread in the correct forum section.
This is the OMC forum section.

Back