Logo

Mercury 90 Hp, brown band, Year???

Hello,
I just pick up a Mercury 90HP brown band. The owner said it was 1989 model but he was not sure!
Could anyone confirm its model year by the serial # A704164. It made in Canada.

Canadian serial records are a little sketchy but that serial (you are missing the leading "zero" - 0A7....) you have a 1985 built model that was sold as a new 1986 (1986 was the year they started selling the models with alpha-numeric serials).

The "built in 1986" Canadian models had a starting serial of 0A71xxxx, so yours was built, most probably in the last few months of 1985.

Canadian serial records are a little sketchy but that serial (you are missing the leading "zero" - 0A7....) you have a 1985 built model that was sold as a new 1986 (1986 was the year they started selling the models with alpha-numeric serials).

The "built in 1986" Canadian models had a starting serial of 0A71xxxx, so yours was built, most probably in the last few months of 1985.

I don't know how to upload the pictures of it but the name tag is very clear "A704164. No 0 before A.

Yes, I am in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Did not have check the compression of all six cylinders yet but I did a quick check to see if the motor still run. I just removed five top spark plugs and put a bit of gas in each cylinder and started the motor. The motor ran for a couple seconds so I guess the electrical system OK since it had spark. One thing I have noticed that the oil came out of the lower unit when tilted up. The seller said he did rebuilt last year????. If it had a recent rebuilt it should be good right? I still have a spare good 1977 of Mercury 800. I don't know if I could swap it. Both of them look alike.

About 4 hrs away from me.----Get your local shop to pressure test the lower unit.----Install a new impeller for the water pump.

Hello,
The weather is getting a bit warmer (6 c). I tried to start the outboard with a flesh gas and full charged battery but the motor could not run. I put gas on a couple spark plug holes and it ran for a couple seconds and die. Anyone suggests what next step to make it run.

Hello,
I have other problem that I saw the oil leaking out of the lower unit drive shaft.
Do you know what is the part number for this lower unit seal kit?
I see this kit on EBAY but I am not sure it is the right kit for it.
[h=1]IP3628 OEM MERCURY MARINE LOWER UNIT SEAL KIT 26-66303A1 NEW OLD STOCK 66303A1[/h]

Well----I would say that the E-BAY listing is totally wrong.----That is not uncommon.------Have you looked at your motor and water pump gaskets , yes or no ?----If yes , have you compared those to the FLEA-BAY listing.-----Hurry and visit / support your local dealer or even this site.----What is the flea-bay listing # for this item ??

Last edited:
At least the seller is NOT claiming that it will fit your motor!----That fits a 20 hp motor, not yours.----Keep looking for a deal I guess.-----Or see a real dealer to get the correct kit.

I do some research and found out
For inside seal #Part #76868 Bearing Carrier Seal Accommodates a 1.188" shaft size. Features a 1.687" outside diameter and is 0.250" wide.
For outer seal # 26-70081
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Roboto Regular, Helvetica Neue, Geneva, Lucida Grande, Verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]I.D.- 1.185 O.D.- 1.754 Height- 0.360.
So there are two different seals needed. What I could see is the OD is different between the seals. It could make sense since the inside seal goes in first for 1.687" bore then the outside seal goes second for 1.754" bore.

Post # 16 makes no sense to me.-----Not sure what you are trying to teach me !-------Visit your local / helpful / friendly dealer and get the right kit.----Nothing to it.

Last edited:
I have the same motor, a115. There are 2 seals back to back. Outer seal is installed lip out, inner seal installed lip inward. Inner seal is for sealing the lower unit lube, outer seal is lubed by water. Be sure to trailer your boat with the outboard in gear so the prop cannot spin and damage the outer "water side" seal.

I have the same motor, a115. There are 2 seals back to back. Outer seal is installed lip out, inner seal installed lip inward. Inner seal is for sealing the lower unit lube, outer seal is lubed by water. Be sure to trailer your boat with the outboard in gear so the prop cannot spin and damage the outer "water side" seal.

Hi,
Do you know the seal part number by chance?

Back