Logo

1987 dt150

Thick72

Hey guys new here, I have a 1987 DT 150. My son purchased it for his 87 Gemini bass boat. Engine fires up but runs hot. Replace the impeller not sure what else it could be. Please help

It could be oil flow that is causing the warnings, but to make sure you get good water flow, take out both thermostats and run it on muffs to make sure you get good water flow out the thermostat holes, if flow is good put them back in place. With the motor in a drum of water there should be strong water pee from the tell tale with lots of pressure and the exhaust holes on the mid section. If all this is good I would start looking at the oil and clean up the whole oil system to make sure the autolube is working properly.

It could be oil flow that is causing the warnings, but to make sure you get good water flow, take out both thermostats and run it on muffs to make sure you get good water flow out the thermostat holes, if flow is good put them back in place. With the motor in a drum of water there should be strong water pee from the tell tale with lots of pressure and the exhaust holes on the mid section. If all this is good I would start looking at the oil and clean up the whole oil system to make sure the autolube is working properly.

The engine is a 2-stroke engine. the oil level in the tank dropped about an eighth of an inch to 1/4 of an inch while running the engine. The exhaust blows very well out of the bottom yet the three holes to the lower end of the engine water just kind of pours out. I did run it without the thermostats and the pee hole was moving pretty well and replaced both thermostats with brand new thermostats and it was still flowing pretty well. Only concern ahead was the three holes towards the bottom of the engine on the back where the exhaust blows out was just water slowly pouring out of there.

The water should sputter out the three holes. This only concludes to the exhaust covers that needs to come off and get inspected. This is not a easy job as those bolts tend to break off. This is the only other area that can cause the overheating.

Back