Logo

D3-110i-c Issues

svskylark

Hello everyone.

I have been having problems with my D3-110 and hoping that someone here might have some ideas. I will explain below.

The symptoms:
With the engine in gear, once reaching about 1400 to 1500RPM a "service fuel system" alarm is generated. Simultaneously the engine automatically reduces and limits the RPM to about 1250. Occasionally the engine will shut down immediately after the alarm is sound. The engine has zero difficulty restarting every single time. It's also worth nothing that I have not been able to trigger the alarm while in neutral and it will rev to 2500rpm no problem without any load.

We have already done the basic things of checking the primary and changing the secondary fuel filter. All the filters appear clean. We have changed the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel pressure limiting valve on the common rail. Most recently we changed the MPROP on the high pressure pump. None of these have been able to correct the issue.

Recently we had the Volvo tech come out. The fault codes generated on VOIDA were MID128 PSID50, MID128 PSID71, and MID128 PSID71. This is pointing at the MPROP. The Volvo tech also noted that the engine was hunting rpm a bit at idle suggesting the possibility of faulty injector(s)

The MPROP is new so it doesn't make sense that its generating fault codes but it is. Could this be a wiring issue between the MPROP and the ECU? Perhaps a corroded connection is limiting current flow to the MPROP and causing the pump to send too much pressure to the rail?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone.

I have been having problems with my D3-110 and hoping that someone here might have some ideas. I will explain below.

The symptoms:
With the engine in gear, once reaching about 1400 to 1500RPM a "service fuel system" alarm is generated. Simultaneously the engine automatically reduces and limits the RPM to about 1250. Occasionally the engine will shut down immediately after the alarm is sound. The engine has zero difficulty restarting every single time. It's also worth nothing that I have not been able to trigger the alarm while in neutral and it will rev to 2500rpm no problem without any load.

We have already done the basic things of checking the primary and changing the secondary fuel filter. All the filters appear clean. We have changed the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel pressure limiting valve on the common rail. Most recently we changed the MPROP on the high pressure pump. None of these have been able to correct the issue.

Recently we had the Volvo tech come out. The fault codes generated on VOIDA were MID128 PSID50, MID128 PSID71, and MID128 PSID71. This is pointing at the MPROP. The Volvo tech also noted that the engine was hunting rpm a bit at idle suggesting the possibility of faulty injector(s)

The MPROP is new so it doesn't make sense that its generating fault codes but it is. Could this be a wiring issue between the MPROP and the ECU? Perhaps a corroded connection is limiting current flow to the MPROP and causing the pump to send too much pressure to the rail?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!
I hope it's not too late of an answer, but i think i found your solution:

Reason One: Failure to produce the specified power due to insufficient compression pressure.
There is a possible air leakage at the sealing part of the cylinder head and the engine body, which shows that a stream of air flow is seeping out of through the diesel generator gasket when there is a change in speed, or the cylinder head is loose or has come loose causing the same... possible other reason for the same could be that one of the piston ring is stuck, the valve stem is jammed, and the power generator cylinder head injector is leaking from its thread, also possible is that the copper washer of the the injector is damaged, the joint surface of fuel injector and fuel injector body is damaged.

Reason 2: Failure to produce the specified power due to over high Coolant temperature.
Why:
Diesel engine overheating (cooling or lubrication system failure).

Reason 3: Failure to produce the specified power due to abnormal oil supply and fuel system failure.
Why:
Possible Air intakes false air into the engine oil system
Possible Fuel injection pump failure
Possible Injector failure.

Source and full article with solutions

Hope this is helpful to you or anyone that has the same kind of problems.
Regards!

Last edited:
Back