Logo

johnson 70 esl 75e

Do not even think about putting 12 volts to the switch box !!!------The ignition system does not need 12 volts to make spark.------But disconnect the black / yellow stripe wire to run without a control box and key switch.

Like a lawn mower or leaf blower, it will have a spark even with no connections. However, you need to disconnect the yellow wires from the rectifier to prevent rectifier damage from running with no battery.. OR, if you are contemplating on connecting a battery to opreate the starter, make sure the + and - cables are securely connected. I know racer said to disconnect the black / yellow wire to prevent applying voltage to the power pack, BUT be aware the black / yellow is the kill wire. How you gonna stop it? Bottom line is running with makehift hookups is risky if you don't know what you are doing.

Why do you want to run it? Do you mean spin it over to check compression and spark? Or actually start it?

I had the power head off to replace the outer exhaust manifold cover and reseal the manifold, due to water in 3 cyl compression was 120 on all cylinders. I want to run the
engine before reinstalling on the boat.

Thanks to everyone for the info,vey helpful.

How about just hang it on the boat and connect the red plug cable and battery cables? Then you will have all the start and top functions for your test. If satisfied, then complete the proper installation.

put the battery + onto the main 8mm terminal on the soliniode . connect the battery negative to the motor. then get a push button switch and connect it between the white wire on the solinode and battery + . then get another push button switch and connect it between the black with yellow stripe wire which you will find on your power pack and the negative .push the 1st button to start and the 2nd button to switch off .

I had no luck getting spark with the engine off the boat. I have reinstalled the the engine on the boat and connected the electrical, cranking the engine from the key no spark. Question Can damage be done to the power pack by cranking the engine without the spark plug wires being connected or grounded?

Some will argue------I have never seen a big ----Caution / warning------ in any manuals about cranking with plug wires off.----I am sure it has been done many times without any damage.----Disconnect the black/ yellow and look for spark again.

Disconnecting the black / yellow takes the control box / cables / ignition switch out of the circuit.----Do that as a test.------Bring a case of suds and I fix your motor for you.

WOW, Racer.....heck of a deal. How far from Duluth Minnesota are you? For about 3,000 in beers you can fix all these old "boat anchors" around my shop. What kind you prefer? Hamms and Bud are MY favorite. Them other fancy suds are for pussies.

Disconnecting the black / yellow takes the control box / cables / ignition switch out of the circuit.----Do that as a test.------Bring a case of suds and I fix your motor for you.

I would love to bring the engine to you and enjoy the suds with you, but I am in Indy.

I had the black and yellow wire disconnected and had no spark.
Early on in the forum I talked about water in #3 cyl.
The engine hydralocked at idle, after removing the plugs it freed up.
Could the flywheel key have sheered?

You will still have spark with a sheared flywheel key.------Spark will be at the wrong time.----And no you can not find a sheared key with your timing light.

Bingo....pull nut and look. Wish you would have mentioned that right off the bat. Can also check: Bring pistonTDC and check mark on flywheel. Takes about 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Back