Logo

What is the cost to totally rebuild a Volvo dp-a drive?

It is seldom cost effective to do a complete rebuild as you propose.

Upper gear set alone will run you approx $1,400 not including bearings and set up time.
Final cost could be in the $2,600 +/- range.
shopping

Lower gear unit gear set alone will run you approx $1,900 not including bearings and approx 7 hours set up time.
Final cost could be in the $3,400 +/- range.

11450.jpg

If your gear case has expanded due to a major gear failure, you're now looking at a new gear case as well.

Let's back up for a minute.
What is wrong with your drive, or what do you suspect is wrong with it that would require all new gears/bearings?

It was making a loud popping noise around the upper transmission area. Not sure if that was due to the one of the pds bearings trying to lock up. I don't think bearings make popping noises though. I was just thinking about rebuilding the old drive completely to go along with my new engine. The amount you mentioned isn't bad. After all you said this style drive is better than the newer ones. So on my old one without taking it apart I'm going to guess that the transmission is worn out and/or the gear backlash is off.

Last edited:
I doubt that your transmission needs anything more than disassembly and inspection.
However, if behind V-8 power, often the main drive gear bearings need to be replaced.... in particular the AFT most bearing.

If memory serves me, these are an industry standard 30207 and a 31307 tapered roller bearing.
(no need to buy the same exact bearing from v/p)

Your A transmission uses a crush sleeve or pre-tension sleeve to control the rolling torque value.
Your A transmission bearing box is gasket style shim controlled for the gear contact/back-lash.

The double row angular contact bearings (the support bearing for each "driven" gear) seldom go bad.
These are rather unique to V/P, as I've not been able to find an industry std bearing replacement.

Watch the shims that are between the bearing and the gear case.... they must go back in as they were.....unless you also change these bearings out.

As for the lower DP unit, you can build one of my prop shaft bearing carrier puller tools, pull the carrier out, and take a look at the insides.
Look for gear tooth condition and bearing races for signs of wear.

It is more likely that the lower gear unit may require an over-haul rather than the transmission.

Outdrive was repainted and re decaled back in 2012 I believe and it may have been done again at some point. No corrosion whatsoever. I did put a new top cap on the drive because I accidently cross threaded the threads. The cap was measured against the old one to check for differences tbetween the two to assure the correct preload. The outdrive did have the u joint bellows slide off so not sure if that gets water inside the drive, but I didn't see any evidence of water the last time I changed the fluid.

Last edited:
Back