Logo

Alpha 2 removal

Mark S.

Contributing Member
Time to remove the leg. Hoping someone can refresh my memory. Which way do I need to spin the prop to safely put it into forward gear? Or, does it matter?

I understand that it's not healthy for the A2 to put it into gear out of the water. Good for the prop to have resistance on it so that something mechanical can jive the right way. If out of the water good to have a helper spin the prop while engaging the remote so that a mechanical meshing can occur. Hoping someone can advise.

I think he's talking about the shift mechanism on right side of bell housing where shift cable meshes with shift shaft that goes through the exhaust port.

usually use grease to keep them positioned during install not removal ....

I think the OP was only concerned with removal of the outdrive and shifting it while the engine is not running while out of the water.

Yes only concerned with removal. Seems like I've read where putting them in gear on the trailer is a no no unless someone spins the prop. If by myself I've used a docking line and simultaneously pulled the line and put the shifter in gear. But I've forgotten which way to spin the prop. Maybe I'm overkilling it. Thanks for the responses.

Yes only concerned with removal. Seems like I've read where putting them in gear on the trailer is a no no unless someone spins the prop. If by myself I've used a docking line and simultaneously pulled the line and put the shifter in gear. But I've forgotten which way to spin the prop. Maybe I'm overkilling it. Thanks for the responses.
No issue putting an alpha into gear while not moving done it every time I’ve taken the drive off both my alpha powered boats. I believe there is an issue doing the same with bravo perhaps this is what you read

Back