Logo

Stainless Steel fasteners

Quicksilver

Advanced Contributor
When you're using SS nuts on studs put some anti-seize grease (or if not available) regular type on the studs to prevent binding. This protects the threads from damage too.

Great advice, anti-seize is always within close reach here at MY shop. For most applications I prefer the nickel.

I'm not sure but most SS fasteners are used for powerhead to exhaust housing and lower unit to driveshaft housing which is where I use the grease.

https://youtu.be/O96AUlIBkU8
This explains a lot because torque has little accuracy when desired forces are critical. Depending on materials, friction, temperature, new or used fasteners as well as parts being fastened....????? There are too many variables. Some gaskets require re-torquing, some don't. I have used head gaskets that were claimed "one time torque", but weeks later, they sqeezed down and the bolts became dangerously under torqued. In one case with a small block Chevrolet V8 it actually caused head gasket to start leaking. For me I like to try to duplicate the new bolts in the video which were extremely clean and lightly oiled. When using dissimilar metals in order to offset potential oxidation I sparingly use anti seize and torque carefully. Especially in the Marine industry where you often see stainless and aluminum used together and in an environment that is undoubtedly extremely damp if not corrosive as in saltwater, I always use an anti seize and adjust my torque accordingly. In the heavy Marine Diesel overhauls especially in head bolts and rod bolts we actually measure stretch in order to ensure proper load. In places where torque is very critical and proper loading between parts is essential we sometimes torque clean and dry first to specifications then mark the bolt remove it and then add anti-corrosive material such as anti seize then reinstall the bolt to the original torqued mark.
http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/display_article.php?id=823019&view=80137 This is fantastic information, absorb it, follow it, you will make less mistakes. Gresham really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Back