Logo

Crusader 270 weird oil problem

ataylor233

Hello as you can see i'm new here and your help would be appreciated. MY port engine has a small puddle of oil on the right side of the intake next to the carb, i wish i had pictures.This summer the port engine started running kinda rough smoking a little from the exhaust. while underway it seems to work better so i am able to complete a trip... im thinking i need to change the intake gasket.Any idea why there is oil there?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Tell us more about what, Exactly yer motor is,....??....

Year,..??
Carbed, or efi,..??
Serial number might help,.....

Oil there could be comin' from the intake gasket, though unlikely,....
It could also be the valve cover gasket on that side,.....
Or, it could be signs of blow-by from the crankcase vent system,.....

Pictures would no doubt help, say from 6", 'n 12", 'n 2',.....

The best way to identify the leak is by close inspection,......

A couple of hints, oil flows downhill, just like water, the leak won't be below the stain,.....

The cleanest oil you see(no dust or dirt, not that there is much of either in a boat's motorbox), is gettin' close to the leak, look higher,.....

If it's blow-by from the vents, a compression, 'n leak-down test should point ya in the Right direction,.....

Cleanin' the area, real Clean, 'n runnin' it under load is Best,....
Though that's impracticable in Detroit this time of year,....

Pics would help but you may need a few more posts before you can post them directly.

I'd check the breather hose as that's the most likely source in the carb area....

I have the same issue on occasion. My little pool of oil is from the breather hose from the valve cover to the flame aresster. I started a post on this issue years ago and the experts on here said nothing to get excited about. It seems to happen more when I just idle around. If I run her on a long day, no oil pool or milky gunk in the breather hose

Back