Logo

1980 tower of power shift shaft removal-How?

Invader100

Hello,

Newbie here but by no means new to forums.

First post:

I have a 1980 Mercury 90HP inline six with a broken swivel bracket.

I have the replacement swivel bracket and I have the motor off the boat, the lower unit removed and everything remove from the old swivelbracket.
Only thing left is to remove the swivel pin/arm assembly and swivel bracket but I need to get the shift shaft out of there first.

How does the shift shaft come out?

I see the linkage arm on the top of the shift shaft and a hole through the linkage arm and the top of the shaft with either a small set screw or a roll pin. I was hoping it is a set screw that could be removed, the linkage arm removed and slide the shift shaft out through the bottom. But it appears to be a roll pin in there.

I do not see how I will be able to get a punch down in there to punch out the roll pin. Maybe if I loosen the lower cowl, it might drop far enough out of the way to get a punch onto the roll pin?

It does not look like there is enough clearance, even if I pulled the carbs, to slide the shift shaft out the top with the linkage arm attached?

Any help would be great! Thanks,

Dan

You have to separate the power head from the driveshaft housing then pull out the shaft.Sometimes the gasket between them holds them tightly (gasket welding), a thin blade pushed into the gasket and moved around the space usually breaks it.

You have to separate the power head from the driveshaft housing then pull out the shaft.Sometimes the gasket between them holds them tightly (gasket welding), a thin blade pushed into the gasket and moved around the space usually breaks it.

Great. I was was hoping not hear that but thanks for the reply.

Is that as simple as just unbolting the housing from the power head and seporating them is is there more to then that?

Thanks

Just undo the 8 or so bolts and all ground straps check that all the hoses,wires and cables are free; put the flywheel lifting ring in the flywheel and lift. Buy a gasket first. You can't use silicon in this critical area.

Last edited:
Back