Logo

Aloha all...need a transom template for a VP 275 sterndrive

Heckrazr

Hi Guys,
Im in the process of repowering my 65 Glassline 17' runabout. It came with a VP AQ100 motor and AQ100 sterndrive and am replacing them with an AQ131A and 275 sterndrive. The difference between the 2 sterndrives is huge and am in the need of a template for mounting the new (to me) 275 drive onto where the AQ100 was....Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

Dave

Hi Guys,
Im in the process of repowering my 65 Glassline 17' runabout. It came with a VP AQ100 motor and AQ100 sterndrive and am replacing them with an AQ131A and 275 sterndrive. The difference between the 2 sterndrives is huge and am in the need of a template for mounting the new (to me) 275 drive onto where the AQ100 was....Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

Dave

By chance are you near a boat salvage yard?
If so, see if they will allow you to make a template from a boat that has had the 270 thru 285 transom shield removed.
Be sure to include the X dimension in the template.

Once you get a template made, check it against your 275 transom shield!

Keep in mind that (unlike the 290 and later) the 250, 270, 280, 275 and 285 transom shield mounting bolt pattern is outside of the rope gasket seal.
This means that all 6 bolt shank seals must be new.
You must also slightly chamfer the bolt holes (in the actual transom) as to allow the 6 seals to become compressed against the carriage bolt shanks.

Here is a template in very small resolution. (sorry.... I could not find one in a higher resolution)
It is almost impossible to read the dimensions.

AQ series 270 thru 275 transom shield template.jpg

Once you get the transom shield mounted to the transom, and when you are ready to hang the engine/flywheel cover, you will need to go through the one-time triangulation alignment procedure.

Also, the inner most rubber cushion ring should be new (this ring provides the water seal).

Last edited:
Thank you Ricardo for the template but it isn't the one for a 275. It says. It's for 270 - 280 but isn't correct for the 275.
I tried it on my transom shield and it's way too narrow.
Dave

Thank you Ricardo for the template but it isn't the one for a 275. It says. It's for 270 - 280 but isn't correct for the 275.
I tried it on my transom shield and it's way too narrow.
Dave

Dave, the structural transom cut out and the transom shield bolt pattern layout will be the same for the 250, 270, 280, 275 and 285 transom shield mounting.
(there may be slight differences where the exhaust down tube attaches re; clearance)

Post a few pictures of this new-to-you 275 transom shield. I will be able to tell you what you have.

using the pic supplied draw a vertical center line , each hole fron the centerline is
top set 100mm, 3 15/15, 3.93 inches
next set 190mm. 7 15/32, 7.48 inches
middle set 216mm, 8 1/2, 8.50 inches
next set 200mm , 7,7/8 , 7.87 inches
bottom set 120mm, 4 23/32, 4.72 inches

Back