Logo

2011 3.0 engine swap

What is your concern in doing the swap? Only issue is in 90 or 91 they switched flywheel size when it went to a one piece rear seal. I think coupler may have changed from crank stud mounted to flywheel diameter 3 bolt design currently used

this is only an issue if just swapping long blocks if you have a complete bobtail should be plug and play

Yes have a cracked block , just below manifold. This old block, has 12 3/4 Fw , has center flywheel studs, and straight bolt up hub. In stead of flex bolt up hub, that bolts up to flywheel outter standard clutch bolt pattern.
Ned to know , if I use 14 in. Housing and flex bolt up , is my outdrive (Mr) I thank, is driveshaft splines in coupler going to be the same.?

We have all parts , we have boat loads of old mercruiser parts, didn't know if 94 3.0 , is in the exact same length from rear of crank? In other words, is my old out drive driveshaft going to have enough clearance at the flywheel?

Thanks just did some measures , it's the same 3 bolt up plate and stud mount coupler are rite at 4" from flywheel face.
Another question can I use old head (big exhaust ports) on newer one piece rear main seal block ?

We have all parts , we have boat loads of old mercruiser parts, didn't know if 94 3.0 , is in the exact same length from rear of crank? In other words, is my old out drive driveshaft going to have enough clearance at the flywheel?
The distance from the rear engine flange (where the flywheel cover mates) to the actual surface of the flywheel, should be identical between the two engines.

flywheel placement 2 pc vs 1 pc seal crankshaft.jpg

Yes have a cracked block , just below manifold. This old block, has 12 3/4 Fw , has center flywheel studs, and straight bolt up hub. In stead of flex bolt up hub, that bolts up to flywheel outter standard clutch bolt pattern.
Ned to know , if I use 14 in. Housing and flex bolt up , is my outdrive (Mr) I thank, is driveshaft splines in coupler going to be the same.?
What is your concern in doing the swap? Only issue is in 90 or 91 they switched flywheel size when it went to a one piece rear seal. I think coupler may have changed from crank stud mounted to flywheel diameter 3 bolt design currently used

If you change from a crankshaft bolt pattern drive coupler
(example only)

shopping

to a outer flywheel bolt pattern drive coupler,
(example only)

.... the female splines should be in the identical position.

By the way, (and you no doubt know this), each size flywheel requires a different style starter motor.

Can I use old head (if exhaust ports) on newer block ?

I don’t know the only thing I can think is there were lower hp versions of the 3.0 and the smaller head ports are a lower HP version. My 1990 3.0 Lx had 135 hp but was offered with a 115 hp version as well. Let’s face it the 3.0 is underpowered enough....

i suspect if u use the right matching manifold you can use what ever head u want only concern would be if combustion chamber volume is different and messed with compression ratio.

Thanks , yes have matching manifold. , with head. Original.
I'm putting on a newer 94 block everything looks the same.
Got great info on flywheel coupler. My problem is it's a old boat clearance for elbow is 1/8 in.
It has old exhaust boot , can't cut boat for room.
The old 140 had 30 over piston those tops were not flat. Std . pistons I've seen are flat , with notches to front . guessing it will still be a shake an bake as Dock said

THANKS, using original head and manifold, just newer block with 14" flywheel and new starter.
And Bell Housing. Should all work thanks for replys.
We have a lot of old 120,140 and 3.0 parts around.

Back