Logo

Steering cable! How do I handle this?

djcamera

Contributing Member
I'm swapping motors. Both are mid-80's Mercury 75HP.
Yesterday I removed my steering cable at the "old" motor. Loosened the collar at the tube, but even though I fought like hell, I couldn't get the cable out.
I pulled and yanked and cussed and loosened everything until the entire tube came out, cable inside. First picture below. Problem one.
Problem two: whoever handled the "new" motor I bought clearly had a similar problem, because they evidently just cut the cable. Second picture below.
I can't get either cable out of their respective tubes, and I'm not sure how rough I can get with them. I see videos of guys hammering them out, but I don't want to damage them further.
1. How can I get my good cable out of that tube?
2. How can I get that cut cable out of my 'new' motor?
I'm stuck.
1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg

Tilt tubes were common for many years.------Same on many brands of motors from 1973 to the present.-----Used ones should be a dime a dozen , at least in many areas they are.-----Use your mini grinder to cut / split the tube and save the cable.----I think that is a simple solution.

Grinding through all that steel is a scary proposition! One slip and...

Yes, a Benzomatic will work, but it'll require a LOT of heating.

Jeff

No need to fight guys both suggestions are very good. If you want to make more heat with a hand-held torch you can use MAPP gas which is methyl acetylene and propadiene which burns at around 3000 degrees versus 2300 for butane and 2000 degrees for propane.

I'm with timguy on this. Alternatively,try and drive out tube on "new" motor and on your own tube,place the tube in a vice hanging by the nut,heat,oil and hammer

Last edited:
If you use a hammer you will likely ---" mushroom " -----the end of the cable.----Will make it hard to drive it through.----Grinding is painless and simple.

If you use a hammer you will likely ---" mushroom " -----the end of the cable.
Yes that's true.And grinding is the easiest way or cutting with a fine disc.Steady hand required.
I probably should have explain my method in full.I had pics somewhere but they seem to have left the building.
Old socket to fit over end of cable,as close to the cable size as possible,old drill bit or bolt the diameter of the cable end eye and cut to same length as the cable end is wide. Heat tube,spray cold oil/water/keyboard cleaner spray,bleach with hammer,repeat.When it starts to go,it gets easier.
I agree there are plenty of the tubes on the net for sale,and as cheap as chips,but in my neck of the woods end up very pricey with shipping.So I kinda have to make do.
Another alternative for djcamera is to knock the tube though on the new motor and just shove in the tube from the old motor.In other words,kick the can down the road for a while.

Back