Logo

Johnson 48 SPL - Outboard Motor will start but will not shut off! Help!

TayMann

First boat. Bought a Johnson 48 spl for it from someone, put it on, got everything hooked up, etc. The engine will start up,but, will not shut off when turning the key off or removing it. I think it has something to do with the black/yellow wire from what I have read. I am boat challenged and this is all new to me. I have been messing with this boat forever and havent been on the water once...

Anyways, inside the motor looks to be some odd wiring, and long wires that arnt connected to anything. I have posted pictures below.

Can anyone give me some info to this situation?

Thanks,
210610564023.jpg210610559023.jpg210610563023.jpg210610560023.jpg

I am assuming you don't have contact with the previous owner to ask why they did what they did..?

The Black/Yellow wire goes to ground (negative) through the ignition switch to shut off the engine.
The other long wire (can't tell the color from the pictures) could have been for the tachometer.

I do not.

The only Black/yellow wire i see is in the first pic. It looks to be not attached to anything just had that orange connector looking thing on it.

The other 2 wires going around the motor, one going to left side and one to right, are very long, attached to other wires at the base and not attached to anything on the end. Its very odd. My buddy who knows boats could figure it out.

Thanks,

There should be a Black/Yellow wire coming from the ignition module on the engine.
It should go through the wiring harness to the remote and end up at the ignition switch.

I bought a boat in the spring and nothing electrical in it worked. All the wiring was in really bad shape.
I just ripped it all out and started over from scratch. Everything now works as it should.

The previous owner had done a lot of "repairs" that resulted in lots of bad connections.
It was just easier to replace the wiring.

Tayman,

If you are even semi-serious about getting this motor right, invest in the factory service manual. Then you will have your wiring guides, testing procedures, and specifications. It will be worth it in the long run, I promise.
As you have figured out, the black and yellow wire is the kill wire. Make sure it has continuity from the control box to the bus bar on the motor.
Good luck!

I see some oxidation on a ground wire. Make sure all connections are clean and anti seized. Have no idea why the long wires or that homemade connector. Some people work on their stuff before checking their cell phone. EVERYTHING is a touch away now. While adjusting the valves on my 49 Chevy pickup the other day I went immediately to my cell phone to get the proper clearances. Exhaust .018 to .020, Intake .007 to .008. It's all right here, we have no excuses to be "stupid" anymore.

That black/yellow wire in your first picture: Stsrt the motor and ground that wire. Motor should stop. If it does, the kill circuit is ok up to that point, and problem lies somewhere between there and the ignition switch.

Gator, it's also in the second picture and it doesn't appear to connect to anything coming over from the pp. This motor is a mess, you'd never find it on my boat looking like this.

Last edited:
Gator, it's also in the second picture and it doesn't appear to connect to anything coming over from the pp. This motor is a mess, you'd never find it on my boat looking like this.

Ah, so the wire is coming from the cable going to the plug? If not connected to the power pack, it certainly won't do anything.

Back