Logo

Small gouge out of lower unit

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, was hoping for some advice on the best way to repair a small gouge/chunk made in my lower unit while being move (picture attached). ThanksLeg Damage (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. How thick is the gearcase wall there as it is around a 3mm gouge there but luckily not right through to cause an oil leakage. A bit uncomfortable to just leave it alone. Cheers.

I have a mig and do repairs like this, but a good cleaning and epoxy would give a similar measure of protection. Just by slim happenstance it gets struck in the same place, you should do something with it.

Aluminum brazing works well for this type of repair.-----I started using a product like ----LUMIWELD----back around 1980 or so.----And it works well.----Many other brand names out there too.

Excellent suggestion. This would give that protection with better adhesion and strength. Practice first on a similar casting.

Aluminum brazing works well for this type of repair.-----I started using a product like ----LUMIWELD----back around 1980 or so.----And it works well.----Many other brand names out there too.

Thanks so much guys! I didn't know about brazing and was going to use an epoxy but will look into this. I'm from Australia and have found the Johnson V4 outboard from the 80's a really good durable motor over the years.

Excellent, enjoyed the reading, lots of good information there as well. I do a fair amount of prop and skeg repair, often welding cracks too. May shops will use annealed aluminum for skegs, bad idea. I keep cast alum with cast alum and use skegs off of parts motors. Use a couple of different filling alloys, sometimes welding complete blades on useable prop hubs.

Here is a recent job on a Johnson 75. Did prop repair too. Basecoat acrylic enamel and topcoat epoxy clear. Beyond factory specs.

Attachments

• 4459_compress94.jpg
    4459_compress94.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 5017_compress82.jpg
    5017_compress82.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 5798_compress76.jpg
    5798_compress76.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Talk to a good welder, they'll tell you it's 50 percent welding and 50 percent "artwork". Nice paint helps the owners "feel comfortable" that what's underneath is gonna work well too. It's not putting a bowtie on a pig, it's more like putting a bowtie on a Playboy bunny. What really counts? The bowtie, or what's underneath it?

Talk to a good welder, they'll tell you it's 50 percent welding and 50 percent "artwork". Nice paint helps the owners "feel comfortable" that what's underneath is gonna work well too. It's not putting a bowtie on a pig, it's more like putting a bowtie on a Playboy bunny. What really counts? The bowtie, or what's underneath it?

That's a good way to put it. :)

Back