Logo

Tohatsu M50D2 (2006 model) seized lower unit

mikewojo

Hi all.

Recently replaced all the gear case parts from the propeller back to the drive shaft. Engine was running great, until about a month later the lower unit seized up. Went to drain the oil to take lower unit off, and about 1/2 cup of milky salt water came out....so no oil.

All the parts from the prop back are rusted in place, can't even get the housing off.

Thoughts? I've seen plenty of long shaft lower units for sale online, but no short shafts.

It the lower unit salvageable?

Thanks for any help in advance.

mjw

Sounds like you botched the repairs. Why did you change all those parts? All 3 gears as well as the prop shaft housing? Did all the seals and o-rings seat correctly? Sounds like your LU is probably scrap, especially if it was running with salt water instead of LU lube. A new LU is available, but not cheap:
3T5Q873016LOWER UNIT ASSY S (AMB)$1404.50

Thanks for the reply Paul.

All the parts from prop back to driveshaft fell out while the boat was being towed, kind of a mystery honestly. Purchased all the replacement parts from Tohatsu and yes it appears we botched the repairs.

Is there a site to purchase the new LU? Cheaper than a re-power, engine still runs great, starts on first pull and it tuned nicely. New LU might be the next best option...

Parts fell out? As in the entire prop shaft housing was unbolted and dropped out onto the road? That's a first.
Tohatsu does not sell directly to consumers. Any dealer (including me) can help you.

Yeah, but fell out being towed behind another boat. Might have hit something, but was directly behind mother ship so quite the mystery. Prop shaft housing bolts sheered off. I'll blame the Bermuda triangle.

There are no dealers on island, happy for you to help me out but guessing the new LU with duty might creep up to re-power pricing (used re-power). Plus I'd have to fly you down here and put you up for a few nights! TBD, but really do appreciate the feedback. There are a few Tohatsu's on island, all attached to Zap Cats left behind by America's Cup sailors, so perhaps could get you some additional work while you "vacation" in Bermuda for a few days.

There is a nice looking 2002 complete lower unit on eBay for $575. Might fit, what do you think Paul?

Love 'em, a perfect marriage. Top notch machines. Honda has always been my preference in bikes, outboards, generators, and cars. Huge use in small engines in power equipment. Giant market in Philippines for small inboard boats. Like this one at our beach on Samal Island Davao.

Attachments

• 0517180957_compress2.jpg
    0517180957_compress2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back