Logo

1959 evinrude lark 35 hp help

jmlb444

How do I remove the shift linkage starting from the shift lever down i think i need to replace it when i try to shift from neutral to reverse it's really tough to shift and i opened up the side of the motor where the lower shift linkage meets the top shift linkage and when i am trying to shift from neutral i can see the linkage bending while i am trying to get it into reverse.

You can access where the horizontal shifter shaft meets the vertical upper shift rod by removing the powerhead. Rust and or breakage in that area is possible. If you must remove the horizontal shifter shaft from the exhaust housing, the motor must be removed from the outer shell.

P.S. You are rotating the prop while attempting to shift a non-running motor----aren't you?

How does the lower unit oil look? Maybe the binding is in the lower unit? When did the problem begin? After a prolonged storage period?

How does the lower unit oil look? Maybe the binding is in the lower unit? When did the problem begin? After a prolonged storage period?

I changed the oil about a month ago and just yesterday I took the gearbox apart to see if the problem was in the gearbox and the oil looked like chocolate milk I out fresh gear oil in this morning and still really hard to get it into reverse.

The first thing you should have done before tearing stuff apart was disconnect the shift rod at the connector. With that done, does the shifter move easy or hard? That will tell if the problem is above or below.

There could also be rust on the propeller shaft under the shift collar, detent ball area. Chocolate of course means water and likely some oxidation on parts.

Thanks Gator, just going off an old memory, they did often cause difficulty when rust got in there.

Hi I’m new to the forum but see there are great suggestions from this forum. I have a 59 18hp. Lower shift rod connection is accessed through a small oval side plate (two screw) on the lower shaft housing. Earlier comment correct (no detent balls on 59) Chocolate milk in gear case requires a new seal kit. That may explain hard shifting.

Good luck

Golden Jubilee Edition. Got an 18 here too. Love it. Runs like a "raped ape". When slack picks up in shifting gear, I make lite modification to the external detent arm and pin. Works every time but you gotta catch it before it starts jumping out of gear into neutral. Keep shift arm greased to retard wear.

Back