Logo

Strange oil/fuel leak from towards top of drive housing

kerkwyk

Hi there, I have a strange leak that I cannot quite work out so far. There are two holes towards the top of the drive housing on the starboard side and oil is coming out of one of them.

Mercury V-140 International Saltwater (2004 Model)

I cannot trace it to anywhere yet. I thought it was a fuel leak from the carb before but as you can see in the photo it is oil.

I have previously replaced the tee just below the oil reservoir and nothing is leaking from there currently. It's quite bad as when left in the water, a small slick develops.

The attached photo shows the holes and the oil in the red box I have drawn.

Any ideas welcome...

cheers

Mark

leak.jpg

It could be gear lube leaking from the shift shaft seal or driveshaft seal and it's leaking out of the drain holes in the housing. The drain holes are there to drain water out of the LU to prevent water from freezing in a void.

hmm, that’s not a bad idea (leak through driveshaft seal) - thanks for that. I might change the impeller soon and check this out

cheers

mark

It could be gear lube leaking from the shift shaft seal or driveshaft seal and it's leaking out of the drain holes in the housing. The drain holes are there to drain water out of the LU to prevent water from freezing in a void.

Back