Logo

Good outdrive paint for volvo penta

Fishmaster23

Regular Contributor
I bought a different dp-a outdrive for my boat and for whatever reason they paint them white now instead of the oem greyish blue color. I need to to paint the transom shield white so it matches the outdrive. I'm not familiar with paint, so what's a good type of paint? I'm going to assume rattle canning it isn't going to look good over time? Ideally it would have been best to do it with the outdrive off, but it's back on now. I think it can still be done well enough though.

Just fyi the old grey paint on the transom shield looks just about new because the previous owner had it painted a few years ago. I almost wonder if I should leave it. Does a two tone color matter? lol

During these years of production, the factory color was what VP called Aquamatic White.
Although they eventually went to a slightly darker grey color (C and later models), your DP-A will likely be the Aquamatic White.

An industrial paint supplier can color match this in a two-part epoxy type paint, or they may have a better suggestion.

A few suggestions:

NOT remove any more of the factory paint than need be.... (it doesn't get any better than what was applied at the factory).
DO NOT use a wire wheel on the drive..... (the wheel will leave traces of steel embedded into the aluminum).
DO NOT sand using a media that is too fine.
Any areas that have been sanded through the OEM paint should be:
..... wiped down with a bare aluminum etching solution.
..... lightly coated with Zinc Chromate primer (or equivalent).

Bring the aluminum up to above dew point temperature before applying the paint.
If you use a two-part epoxy, be sure to give it plenty of time to cure before handling!

A few "don'ts":

DO NOT apply paint during high humidity conditions.
DO NOT apply paint in cold conditions.
DO NOT use conductive bottom paints.

Good luck.
You will be happy with a fresh new appearance.

Last edited:
Back