Logo

Yamaha 20 4st resurrection 11/17/19

saylpal

I am resurrecting my Yamaha 4st 20hp after a submersion in a storm. The last obstacle is setting the carburetor to idle correctly and not stall after revs... What is the initial setting of the mixing jet?
In the old days, it was turn in, then back out 1 1/2 turns...?
Had the whole carb apart 3 times catching the minuscule corrosion in the Acc.pump and blowing out jets.etc.
Any ideas and tips would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, JD

Sounds like it may be starving for fuel did you try opening the low speed jet two or three turns? You probably tried this and it still doesn't work so there may be a problem with fuel pressure. My experience with this particular model is that they have a weak fuel pump that is engineered barely enough to provide adequate fuel. What have you done so far with the fuel pump? Secondly, have you tried adding fuel pressure by activating the squeeze bulb while you are trying to adjust the carburetor?
This was a Lake Superior water recovery but was pounded against the Rocky shoreline in high winds so it's only a parts motor now. Years ago I had rebuilt the fuel pump for the customer because of a similar problem to yours. He gave me the motor as scrap. It sat down on the shore after the incident for several months before he called me.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_100850979_compress47.jpg
    IMG_20191123_100850979_compress47.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Back