Logo

Twin 4.3's Stalls when opposing gears

Nickzlb77

Hello,

Twin 4.3's EFI (TBI) with alpha's. All new cables (throttle, shift upper and lowers). Adjustment is spot on if running on one motor or on both when in same gear. Anytime when docking, if apply any more than idle when in opposite gears the motor with less throttle will stall. Is this common on lower HP motors with Alpha's? It's so easy to lose the bow on the older sterndrive searays (90 sundancer 280) its a real hassle when docking in the wind.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Not common, somethings going on. shift cable adjustment ?, shift interupter switch?

Thanks, I would think so, very frustrating! As mentioned when Im on one motor with the other in neutral or on both and using them together its perfect. Only opposing. I'm going to bypass the interrupt for testing but was curious if there was anything I could be looking into.

It could be that the dying motor is idling too low (or is out of idle mixture adjustment) so that the sudden load on it stalls it. I've seen that happen with my old cruiser.

Jeff

Yes TBI They have an IAC PN 805224A1

This controls Idle. May have failed in range.

Would be odd for both to have failed in the exact desired idle range and show no other issues at all during use no? But would make sense, the sudden load in the opposite direction drops idle and without functional IAC doesnt recover? Motors have around 450hrs and are basically original so cant hurt to swap them both anyway. Thanks for the insight. Hadn't though of them possibly failing in range.

My other thought is this boat should never have been equipped with these motors in the first place! Not enough steam!

Last edited:
Back