Logo

Sunbird cuddy no motor

Jlg2002

Hi new to the forum .
I bought a 19' 1985 sunbird cuddy boat it has the omc outdrive model # 983486 but no motor in the boat I'm trying to figure out what motor to put back in the boat. Or I just may part out what is there ??? But interested in finding info on what could have come in that boat for a motor I'm thinking 4.3 or a v8 ? Hard to tell with not much to go by as far as Ser # s any ideas ?

I purchased a 19' 85 sunbird cuddy with no motor cheap. It has a Omc stringer outdrive model 983486 would anyone have any idea what size motor would work for this boat ? The guy I got the boat and nice trailer from didn't have a clue about boats . I'm thinking maybe a 4.3 v6 or a v8 ?? Any info would be great if possible the boat is in nice condition and worth putting a motor in it or I just may part out everything and buy a canoe Lmfao.

I'm with Chris. You will be better off with the canoe.

You will want to avoid buying any boat with a stringer drive, or any OMC drive for that matter!

That's what I'm thinking too I'm good with Volvo penta **** but new to omc stuff but 300.00 for the boat and trailer I'm sure I can part everything out and make a good profit . I'm just curious to what that boat would have had for a engine mounted to that outdrive . I'm thinking 4.3 or 5.0 but I'm not fixing the boat I'm going to part it out .

Ayuh,..... Scrap it out,...... Is it a stringer 400, or stringer 800,..??

A 400 woulda had a 4 cylinder,....

Turn the input shaft, 'n count the prop shaft rotations in gear,....

The gear ratio will tell ya which motor,....

Ok thanks for your assistance . the motor is still a mystery . 19 ' cuddy must have had a 200 plus hp engine to make a big heavy POS like that skip across water. Is there any way to tell what size motor that boat would have had for a motor for selling porpoises.

Is there any way to tell what size motor that boat would have had for a motor for selling porpoises.

Ayuh,..... Figure out the gear ratio,......

2:1 would be a 4 cylinder,......

'round 1.8something:1 will be a 6 cylinder,.....

1.50:1 for a V8,.....

Sunbirds were a cheaply made entry level boat,....... prone to rot,.....

The value you have is in the parts, 'n the trailer,......

Thanks bud I figured out that boat had a 5.0 or 305 v8 chevy . now I can part it out with the right info for customers. The omc 800 outdrive is in great condition and the tee nee 21' trailer is also in great shape . I should be able part these parts out to someone . I paid 300.00 trailer alone would be a 600.00 sell easy enough.thanks again .

I read your post i also have some sunbird cuddy but it is old and near to end i have old model this with 8v motor i have 1997 model what is you model by year....? Now price of new sunbird cuddy 1997 model price is 600$ i am interested in sunbird cuddy and want a new so can you conform the price of your
sunbird cuddy....?
I visit some online site there was 500$ price of sunbird cuddy.

The one I bought is a 1985 19 ' looks good clean no motor price ??? I'm parting it out . fair prices but no give away pricing I'll make my goal on that boat .

JLG, my unsolicited advice/suggestion:

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by holding out for a top price for an ole Stringer Drive.
You would need the exact right buyer for one of these, and they are few and far between these days!

JLG, my unsolicited advice/suggestion:

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by holding out for a top price for an ole Stringer Drive.
You would need the exact right buyer for one of these, and they are few and far between these days!
I'll do fine lots of ppl around my area looking for omc **** I'm out 300.00 the trailer alone will bring 800.00 and the old parts will bring in a few bucks I'm not too worried about making money I just needed to know what was attached to that outdrive for a motor 5.0 is what I found according to the boat ID numbers .

Back