Logo

1999 BF90AX drive shaft seal direction

lwhitley

Looking for confirmation of the direction to install the two shaft seals that go into the water pump housing. I have the manual but the illustration is so bad it's no help.

Seals back to back,ie bottom seal spring toward gear oil, top seal spring towards waterpump

hmmm. the diagram in the manual shows them both facing the same direction....it's just unclear if the spring side goes toward the pump or the gear oil. it's literally just a picture of the two seals with no reference. my hunch is that the spring goes toward the gear oil because they show using the special installation tool which i wouldn't think would be needed if the closed side of the seal faced out.

Seals back to back,ie bottom seal spring toward gear oil, top seal spring towards waterpump

probably worth noting, this is the Honda lower unit not the Mercury. Looks like the manual does show the seals going in as you describe in the Mercury but face the same direction in the Honda...just can't tell which direction

All the Jap motors have their seals facing out but I install back to back because it works better, they hold pressure better that way, just sharing my experience.

Back