Logo

Is this a good price for a late 90's 70hp Force?

djcamera

Contributing Member
I'm shopping for a motor to repower my 1975 Starcraft. A local guy here who runs a mobile marine service business (with a good reputation) has a '97 or '98 70hp Force that he says he just rebuilt and would run great.

With my locked-up 75hp Mercury (and an extra gearcase w/prop) as a trade-in, he wants $2000 for the motor.

On one hand, I feel good that he would be close by in case there's a problem, instead of buying from a stranger and being on my own...but I wonder if he wants too much.

Sorry this post isn't about a repair, but I'm curious what you guys think. Thank you.

Waaaaaaay to much for a 70 hp force. I do not know of to many mechanics that will rebuild a Force motor. Look for a 80s 3 cylinder omc 70 hp more power and better parts availability.

It wasn't worth $2000 NEW!!!! worst idling motor every...3 cylinders 1 HUGE carb...
Try outboard trader Facebook

Try outboard trader Facebook

Hey, what a great recommendation! I went there and found a guy with my EXACT motor, with the EXACT powerhead I need to get back running again. I'm going to pick it up in a couple of days. It was a great deal, too. A big relief. Thank you! Come to Georgia and claim your free beer.

Hey DJ, I was gonna say that's WAY too much for that Force too, but I'm probably too late. I don't know if Pappy drinks anyway. If he does, it might not be beer.

Ha! Never tried that one. Bud lite my favorite too, next to Hamms. Try one sometime. As for Force outboards, they were a "clobbered" up creation, some good, some bad.....depending on year and size. I fix 'em but sure wouldn't own one as my prime transportation back in nowheresville Ontario.

As for Force outboards, they were a "clobbered" up creation, some good, some bad

Good to know, and now fortunately, I won't have to deal with it. The motor I'm replacing is a Mercury 75HP made in 1986. Locked up, but the lower unit is fine. I found a guy with the identical motor for sale, but with a bad gearcase! Somehow the universe steered us to one another. I never swapped a motor before, this should be interesting...the fun starts tomorrow.

Back