Logo

Back on board again

Captmerc

So last year I sole my intrepid with trip 250s, and figured that was the end of me being a honda owner, we moved to Hope Town in Abaco where we had an Albury 23’ with a merc opti 225.

fast forward to Sept 1 2019. Hurricane Dorian, our Albury was hauled out, but 20’ storm surges and 220 mph wind gusts made a mess of everything including most boats, surprisingly ours survives in reasonable condition except the engine which had a huge hole in the cowling and had been flooded.

Reached a settlement with the insurance Co and my search for an engine concluded with the purchase of a new Honda 250 from the same company I purchased my trips from back in November 3 years ago, and at a better price than before.
timing is everything.

Good for ya. Keep us updated on that 250. I suspect there are several 200 and 225 owners that will be thinking about re-powering sometime in the future, and it's always good to hear from experienced owners.

Just got the Albury back two days ago I now have a grand total of 2.4 hours run time on the 250, hopefully it will serve me as well as my previous six Hondas.

Cmerc - please continue to keep the forum updated on your 250 journey. From what I've seen on the parts diagrams, the 250 has exactly the same fuel system as the 200/225. Obviously, the ECU and some of the electronics are be different.

Hopefully, some of the design issues with the 200/225 have been fixed. Top of mind, I'm hoping the following have been fixed, namely...

* A much more robust thrust bearing
* The flushing system being more robust and getting flush water to the thermostats and thermostat seats.
* Better, more robust HO2 sensors

BTW - does anyone know whether there is a Helm shop manual now available for the 250?

New 250's changed a bit. No O2 sensor, electric low pressure fuel pump instead of mechanical. A big improvement is the cowl set up. The new engines have a solid pan which has made the engine compartment a lot more water proof so corroded vapor separators etc should be a thing of the past. High pressure filter is now a quick connect inline filter so 1min change over. One thing I advise all owners to do on these new D series motors is to put a thin cable tie on the rubber hose at the tell tale nozzle. We had one pop off and because the engine compartment is so well sealed it flooded and caused a lot of damage. Otherwise they are a very nice motor, a lot quieter and smoother than the previous model. The vertical shaft support bush remains the same, if treated as a 400hr service item and removed , greased and replaced at this interval there should be no problem.

Cmerc,
Just one more vote for telling your story about your new Honda here. There are plenty of us out here that are interested. Thanks for the heads up and WELCOME BACK!

Hey guys just a quick update, really have not been able to use the boat much at all since I got it back, we have bee out twice and have a grand total ofJust over 5 hours.
like you we in Nassau are under the Covid 19 threat and the restrictions that go with it

just a bit of background, we were living in Abaco, and on September 1 and lost virtually everything we had, we are temporarily (hopefully) living in Nassau in a rented apartment until our house is rebuilt, so boating involves making a trip to where the boat is kept, that coupled with being on lock down sucks for using it.
I will update as we use it more (fingers crossed) and report any issues we encounter, hopefully the O2 issues I had on the last tripps setup I had are gone, but basically in the 18 months I had them, I had to replace O2s four times.
keep safe and happy boating

Ok, a few stats, just past 10hours today, and made a mental note of rpm vs speed as follows also swinging a 15 1/4 x 19 3 blade Honda prop.

4000 rpm = 30 mph 4.04 mpg
4500 rpm = 35 mph 3.2 mpg
have not yet determined what max rpm is so thats all I got for the moment

Hey guys just a quick update, really have not been able to use the boat much at all since I got it back, we have bee out twice and have a grand total ofJust over 5 hours.
like you we in Nassau are under the Covid 19 threat and the restrictions that go with it

just a bit of background, we were living in Abaco, and on September 1 and lost virtually everything we had, we are temporarily (hopefully) living in Nassau in a rented apartment until our house is rebuilt, so boating involves making a trip to where the boat is kept, that coupled with being on lock down sucks for using it.
I will update as we use it more (fingers crossed) and report any issues we encounter, hopefully the O2 issues I had on the last tripps setup I had are gone, but basically in the 18 months I had them, I had to replace O2s four times.
keep safe and happy boating

These new motors no longer have an O2 sensor, so there will be no problem there

Back