Logo

Need relacement crusader 454s

Cs86pelham

I have a Tiara 3100 open and need to replace 2 crusader 454 motors. Any recommendations/thoughts on:

1. where to get them?
2. new versus used versus rebuilt?
3. Cost?
4. Things to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

How old are the engines your have now?

Are you able/willing to do some/most of the work yourself?

Warranty something you need/desire?

Budget for the project?

1995s with 1300 hours. One has a cracker head or gasket - water leaking into 3 pistons. The other is ok - has both tested at same time.

Willing to do as much work as possible, and although I am mechanically inclined, I am no mechanic.

Hadn't thought abut the warranty but general one would be nice

Slim budget...looking to minimize cost by helping with the job. Boat and engine room exceptionally cliean

with the age of what you have, you'd be better off getting turn-key units. Brand new would be the most expensive with a factory remanufactured set the less expensive.

rebuilding what you have would be the most economical but you will likely be plagued by the age of your existing bolt-ons.....so I'd suggest skipping that route unless you are good with diagnosing any issues that occur and resolving them before they have a big impact. I would avoid used unless they have a well documented maintenance history and come at a worthwhile price.

The other item to consider is the gears - giving them an overhaul would be prudent while everything is apart.

Regarding over-hauling your existing engines..... were these raw water cooled, or were they fitted with Closed Cooling systems?

If raw water cooled (at that age and hours), you would not want to over-haul them.

Last edited:
Back