Logo

Honda BF60A intermittent rough idle

Randyh222

Hello,
I have a FI BF60A (serial number BBFJ-1101181) and it has a strange intermittent rough idle. When ever you decelerate back to idle it will miss for about 5 seconds then run smooth for as long as you keep idling. From there if you accelerate, it will continue to run great until you bring it back to idle, where it will repeat the rough idle for 5 seconds. The rough idle is not instant from when you bring it down to idle, it takes a second or two before it starts missing, then it takes it about 5 seconds to recover. Other than this, the motor runs great. I can troll at idle for hours and it will run perfect after it gets past the rough idle period. The motor has recently had the thermostat replaced, injectors cleaned, valves adjusted, new plugs and compression checked. There are around 350 hours on the motor. If any one has any suggestions on what could cause this issue, I would really appreciate any advice I could get.
Thank you,
Randy Hughes

The only thing that can cause that is a lazy idle air control valve (IAC) which could be cause by a blocked filter screen. Remove the IAC and check the fine screen on the intake, they can get pretty dirty over time.

The only thing that can cause that is a lazy idle air control valve (IAC) which could be cause by a blocked filter screen. Remove the IAC and check the fine screen on the intake, they can get pretty dirty over time.

Thank you for responding! I pulled the IAC off and the filter screen appeared to be clean exept possibly a little soot. I cleaned it anyway just in case. I will be taking the boat out on Saturday and will report back about how the motor runs after.

Randy

Back